Many thousands of people today are heavy smokers, not by choice, but due to the circumstances for which they have found no
way of escape. They are caught in the grip of a habit developed during their teen-age years when so many young people think
it is ‘smart ‘ to smoke.
The strange thing is that most of these people never wanted to smoke in the first place. There was only doing what they thought
everyone else was doing at the time. Yet there is another odd thing. Smoking in not a normal habit. A person has to learn
Smoking is by and large, an acquired habit. People start smoking because they think it is fashionable to do so or because
their friends and companions are able to persuade them to start smoking. Some smokers feel that they look more attractive
to the opposite sex when they are smoking. Others hold that a social gathering becomes more intimate if people are smoking.
In reality all this is a product of smokers imagination. Because he wants to justify his habit, he invents enough reasons
Smoking causes coronary heart disease, lung cancer and skin cancer.
Every cigarette a person smoke leaves him a little weaker and less able to carry on. Then why don’t they stop? Because
they are addicted to nicotine, a powerful drug that is present in the tobacco leaves. Some people seem to have little difficulty
in giving up the habit, but most people have a real struggle. The majority continues to smoke because they get a temporary
lift from the tobacco. However, this is always followed by a letdown, which then calls for another smoke.
Those who smoke pipes and cigars run the risk of developing lip and mouth cancer. The social impact of smoking is no less
evil than its effect on the heart and the lungs. By way of personal hygiene, the smoker is at a disadvantage. His fingers
turn yellow. His teeth and gums are stained. No mouthwash is enough to freshen his mouth.
HOME REMEDIES FOR SMOKING
· Stay awayfrom other smokers as much as possible, particularly the next few weeks. This will reduce temptation and strengthen
to resolve not to start again.
· Take two hot baths every dayand follow them with stimulating cold showers. This will help you physically and strengthen
your will to succeed.
· Take plenty of exercises including deep breathing and long walks in the open air several times each day. This will clean
out the lungs and improve your sense of well-being.
· Watch your diet.Be sure to take large quantities of fresh fruits and vegetables. These are an excellent antidote against
the poisons of tobacco. Infact, if you were to eat little except fruit and vegetables for the next few weeks you would soon
lose your desire to smoke. If necessary take small meals more frequently to stabilize your blood sugar. This will also help
to calm your nerves during this time of stress.
· Don’t go hungry for long. Eat regularly and do not attempt to lose weight while you are trying to break the tobacco
habit. You may gain a few pounds, but don’t worry about this just now. You can lose it later if need be.
· Avoid highly seasoned foods, alcohol, tea and coffee. These have probably encouraged your craving for tobacco. They have
spoiled your appetite for normal foods that build the body. Omit such things as pepper, mustard, spices, and all hot condiments
from your diet. For the present you should even be careful about taking excessive amounts of salt.
· Drink at least ten glasses of water a day the first week. Taking a drink helps to reduce the craving for tobacco. If you
will follow these instructions you will soon be surprised at the new flavors you are discovering in your foods.
· Get rid of all your cigarettes and every vestige of tobacco you possess. It is not safe to keep any smoking materials handy
just now. The temptation to start using the stuff may prove too great.
· Coenzyme Q10 is a powerful antioxidant that protects the lungs, the heart and increases oxygen to the brain. Take 200 mg.
twice a day.
· Take grape seed extract to repair lung damage.
· Smoking breaks down vitamin C therefore it is very important to take 5,000-20,000 mg. of vitamin C a day.
· Vitamin E is a very important antioxidant needed to repair cell damage cause by smoking.
· Vitamin A helps to repair the mucus membranes, which are damaged by smoking.
· Ginger and lobelia prevent nausea and helps to get rid of anxiety. Ginger produces perspiration, which helps to shed toxins
generated from smoking. Lobelia Relieves withdrawal, including irritability, hunger, poor concentration. It contains alkaloids
similar to those in nicotine, occupies same brain receptor sites and exerts nicotine like effects without the damage that
nicotine causes; this reduces cravings, and creates aversion.
· Oats decreases or eliminate tobacco cravings; also, they reduce number of cigarettes desired even in those people who do
not want to quit.
· Include fenugreek tea to support your lymphatics. Take 2 teaspoons of the seeds into a cup of boiling water steep, strain,
· Reduce your alcohol, caffeine intake & include plenty of fresh air, fresh unprocessed food & exercise.
· Commit yourself to God every day and every hour, asking Divine help whenever you feel the craving to smoke. Power from above
is always available to those in need.
· Do not falter in your resolveto conquer this habit, for it is well worth all the effort you will be forced to make.
. It has been found that bromelain, an enzyme present in pineapple helps remove toxic effects due to smoking. Regular
intake of pineapple daily, helps reduce them and also helps in reducing phlegm production. This enzyme has a number of significant
benefits, such as reducing inflammation and thinning the blood (which may reduce the risk of angina)