The term dandruff includes several different conditions of the scalp. There is scaling in which the entire scalp may be covered
with loose dry scales. When the hair is combed or brushed, or when the scalp is scratched, these scales fall like snow on
the shoulders. Often there is itching, as well, and the scalp may be red from scratching.
If the scalp is covered with greasy scales, wash the hair thoroughly every day, using some good soap or medicated shampoo.
Frequent washing will not harm the hair.
Itching lesions of the scalp are often due toneurodermatitis especially when it occurs on the back of the head.
Keep the hair and scalp clean by frequent shampoo. Clean your comb and brush after each use.
Mild dandruff is the result of excessive oiliness of the skin and not due to dryness of the scalp. Chronic dandruff may
occur due to psoriasis of the scalp. Dandruff can occur to anybody at any age. It should not be left untreated.
The most important point in the treatment of dandruff is to keep the hair and scalp clean so as to decrease the accumulation
of dead cells. The hair should be brushed daily to improve the circulation and remove any flakiness. The most effective way
to brush the hair is to bend forward from the waist with the head down towards the ground and brush from the nape of the neck
towards the top of the head. Massage the scalp daily using one-finger tips and working systematically over the head. This
should be done just before or after brushing the hair. Like brushing, this stimulates the circulation, dislodges dirt and
dandruff and helps in the hair growth.
People should avoid spicy and greasy food because it helps dandruff to increase and spread. People should add more vegetables
and fruits on the diet. It is very essential to take fresh foods avoid taking tinned and canned foods add more green vegetables
Strong tea and coffee, processed foods should be avoided for the dandruff.
HOME REMEDIES FOR DANDRUFF
· Prepare a mixture by adding two tablespoons of cosmetic vinegar and six tablespoons of hot water. Apply it all over
the scalp, parting the hair with a comb. Preferably it should be used at bedtime. Tie a scarf over the hair to avoid staining
the pillow. Next morning wash the hair with shampoo. This should be done twice a week for three months.
· Massage hot oil into the scalp at bedtime. Next morning an hour before bath, rub lemon juice mixed with cosmetic vinegar
(mix 1:2 ratio) into the scalp. Wash the hair with an egg shampoo.
· A hot steam bath can be an effective remedy. Massage hot oil with a hot damp towel and leave it on the head so that
the steam can fight dandruff. Two towels can be used for this purpose.
· Boil five teaspoons of dried used tealeaves in limewater and use it after shampoo. This gives the hair a lustrous shine
and provides nourishment too.
· Make a solution of 1 ounce each of fresh or dried rosemary and sage in 2 cups of water. Let steep for 24 hours, then
use daily as a hair wash.
· Boil 5 Tbsp dried thyme in 2 cups water for 10 minutes. Strain and cool. Pour 1/2 mixture over clean, damp hair. Massage
into scalp, do not wash. Use second half of solution another day.
· Massage your hair with warm coconut oil and apply the juice of 2 lemons, steam your hair and leave the oil on for about
2 hours. Wash with a mild shampoo. Repeat 2-3 times a week.
· Boil a handful of neem leaves in 4 teacups of water. After cooling and filtering, use for washing hair.
· Massage baking soda into the hair and scalp to absorb oil and to loosen dead skin on scalp. Wash thoroughly, use no
other shampoos. Initially the hair may seem dry, after several weeks, dandruff will be gone and hair will be smooth and shiny.
· Boil: 1-cup water, 1-cup apple cider vinegar, 1 handful of fresh mint leaves. Strain and pour into a container. With
fingertips, massage solution into the scalp, let dry without washing out.
· Take 1 part almond oil, 1 part pure sulphur powder, 2 parts 'surgical spirit' and 4 parts distilled water or rose water
and mix well. Rub on the scalp.
· Take 2 cup water, add 4-5 tablespoons dried thyme and boil for 10 minutes. Cool, strain, and use the mixture to massage
scalp. Keep for half an hour.
· Dissolve 2 aspirins in any dandruff shampoo. Leave the mixture on your scalp for two minutes. Rinse and wash properly
to remove the aspirin particles completely from the scalp.
· Make a solution by adding equal parts of dried rosemary, comfrey, witch hazel leaves and nettles to make about 1/2 cup.
Add to 2 cups of water in a covered pot. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let steep overnight. Strain. Shampoo and wash
hair then use this again for final wash to relieve itchy, flaky scalp.
· Rub a lot of aloe Vera gel into scalp about 10-15 minutes before you wash your hair,. Leave it on for 10 minutes, and
shampoo your hair like you regularly do. This will help to get rid of dandruff within a few weeks.
· Soak 2 tablespoons fenugreek seeds in water overnight. In the morning grind into a fine paste. Apply all over scalp
and leave for ½ an hour. Wash with mild shampoo.
· Prepare a mixture of olive oil with the almond oil. Leave it on about 5 min.s after it starts to burn. Wash well to
· Make a solution by mixing 100 g each of amla (Indian goose berry), reetha, and shikakai, and boil in two litre of water
until the liquid reduces to half. Use this shampoo for one month. Dandruff will go away and your hair will become thick.
· Massage the hair for half an hour with curd, which has been kept in the open for three days, or mix a few drops of lime
and amla juice every night before going to bed.
· A useful remedy for removal of dandruff is the use of green gram powder. The hair should be washed twice a week with
two tablespoons of this powder mixed with half a cup of curd.
· Beets have been found useful in dandruff. Both tops and roots should be boiled in water and this water should be massaged
into the scalp with the fingertips every night. White beet is better for this purpose.
· The juice of snake gourd has been found beneficial in the prevention and treatment of dandruff. The juice should be
rubbed over the scalp for this purpose.
· Beat two eggs and add two tablespoons of water to it. Wet the hair and apply the egg mixture over the hair. Now massage
your scalp and let the mixture on for ten minutes to fifteen minutes. Then wash the hair with lukewarm water. This helps to
prevent hair fall and dandruff.
· Boil bhangra leaves in sesame oil for 15 minutes. Let it stand for an hour then strain it. Massage this oil in your
head. Leave it for an hour then shampoo your hair.
. Apply the pulp of Aloe Vera leaf (fresh) leave it for an hour before washing with normal or lukewarm water.
. Avoid the use of harsh chemicals, soaps, shampoos or any other conditioners that may irritate the skin and cause
itching and dandruff.