Eye is one of the most important body parts in human body. Eyes are responsible in act of vision in humans. With the aid of
our eyes we are able to see the things around us and perform our daily activities with great ease. Any disruption in the functioning
of eyes leads to great difficulty and discomforts. Following are the very commonly seen problems that affect our vision.
* Short-sightedness (myopia) - it is a condition in which a person is only able to visualize near object clearly but
has a difficulty to see far away objects.
* Long-sightedness (hypermetropia) - it is a condition in which a person clearly sees far way things but he is unable
to see the near objects.
* Presbyopia – it is related to the age factors as in this case the lens present in the eye loses its flexibility
and hence is not able to adapt to the condition where it has to perform adjustability and eye is not able see things clearly.
It is often seen in people who are above the age of forty.
* Astigmatism – in this condition cornea becomes oval thus losing the balance in the axis (may be in y-axis
or in x-axis). It is generally accompanied by short sightedness or long sightedness
CAUSES OF DEFECTIVE VISION
* Lack of nutritious diet.
* Working on computes continuously for longer periods of time.
* Inadequate sitting posture while watch television.
* Lack of minerals and vitamins from the diet like retinol (vitamin A) and calcium.
* Bad lighting facilities in the studying area.
* Straining of eyes in excess and not giving it the roper time to relax.
* Direct exposure to sunlight my also lead to blurred vision.
HOME REMEDIES FOR EYE CARE.
Mix one part of rose water and one part of lime juice. Store in a bottle and use it as an eye drop. This is very useful
home remedy for eye care.
Intake of sufficient amounts of vitamin A is necessary for healthy vision.
Eating spinach will help in preventing various eye problems as it contains carotenoid.
Using drops of eyebright herb are also beneficial for the eye conditions.
The consumption of good amount of vitamin C lowers the chances of developing cataracts.
Daily intake of walnut for few days reduces the weakness of the eyes.
Make a mixture of 4 grams of alum powder and 30 grams of rose water. Put 2-3 drops of this mixture in each eye every night
to get relief from eyestrain and redness in the eyes. This is good home remedy for eye care.
Fill a green bottle with water and keep it in sunlight for one day, use this water to wash the eyes regularly. This will
help in curing myopia.
Grind almonds, fennel and sugar candy in equal amounts to form a paste and store it in a glass container. Chew 10 grams
of this mixture daily at night with 250 grams of milk. This is the effective method in the treatment of myopia.
For improving eyesight massage the soles and toes of foot with mustard oil daily.
Harmful radiation of X-rays and microwave also cause damage to the eyes. So they should be avoided.
Smoking should be avoided as the toxic substance in the smoke cause damage to the eyes.
Boil 1/2 teaspoon of fennel seeds in 1 cup of water and cool. Use this as eye drops. This is one of effective home remedies
for eye care.
For the prevention of cataract make a mixture of 10 grams of onion juice, 10 grams honey and 2 grams Borneo camphor. Store
the mixture in a glass bottle and apply every night to the eyes.
Mangoes are a very rich source of vitamin A and calcium. During summers at least 100 grams of mangoes should be consumed
Carrots and tomatoes should be consumed regularly for normal vision.
Washing the eyes with cold water will give relief from strain and will soothe the eyes.
Triphala is a good herbal eye tonic. Steep one tablespoonful of powder in an 8 ounce glass of water overnight. In the
morning, strain the infusion through a clean cloth. The resultant tea is used to sprinkle over the eyes or used in an eye
Use a regular tea bag, soaked in warm water for about a minute. Place on the eyes or place several drops in the eye. (make
sure the tea bag is not hot) It is very good for irritation.