You're having a perfectly good day when, all of a sudden, your head starts to ache. You can't concentrate on what you're doing
because your head hurts so much.
You might even feel sick to your stomach.
Almost everyone has a headache now and again. The causes are numerous. Most headaches happen outside your skull, in the nerves,
blood vessels, and muscles that cover your head and neck. Sometimes the muscles or blood vessels swell, which means they get
Most headaches are caused due to :
The list is endless........
Most of the headaches can be cured by simple remedies at home. Some of the things you can do at home without medication are:
* Apply an ice pack to the painful area of your head. Try placing it on your forehead, temples or the back of your neck.
* Take a warm bath or shower; take a nap; or take a walk.
* Ask someone to rub your neck and back, or treat yourself to a massage.
* Apply gentle, steady rotating pressure to the painful area of your head with your index finger and/or thumb. Maintain pressure
for 7-15 seconds, then release. Repeat as needed.
* Rest, sit or lie quietly in a low-lit room. Close your eyes and try to release the tension in your back, neck, and shoulders.
* If you have excessive muscle contractions in the neck, physical therapy exercises performed daily are often helpful.
* Hot fomentations over the abdomen region at night while going to bed relieves headache due to liver and stomach problems.
* Coconut mixed with sugar candy in equal amounts cure headaches.
* Make a fine paste of freshly ground sandalwood and apply to the forehead, let it dry, rub off by hand and then wash it.
* Warm water gargles for sore throat, nasal cleaning with warm water and steam inhalation are effective methods for treating
headaches caused by cold.
* Application of warm poultice made of ginger powder at the forehead is also beneficial.
* Intake of freshly sliced apple taken in the early morning for at least a week cures all chronic headaches.
* Put 2-4 drops of cow’s butter or ghee into both nostrils for seven days if the cause of headache is sinusitis.
* Make a solution of half a teaspoon of mustard seeds powder and three teaspoons of water, put this solution in the nostrils,
it is helpful to decrease the migraine and headache. This is another effective home remedy for headache.
* Drinking a glass of water mixed with a teaspoonful of honey in the morning is also an effective remedy in the treatment
of chronic headaches.
* Taking watermelon juice mixed with sugar cures headache due to excessive heat.
* Grind watermelon seeds and white Cuseus grass (khas khas) separately. Now mix them in equal amounts. Take 3 grams of the
mixture twice a day. This headache remedy is very effective home remedy for headache.
* Chronic headaches due to deficiency of iron can be treated with intake of a teaspoon of Brewer’s yeast daily.
* Application of sandal wood paste on the forehead is also effective. Good Home Remedy for Headache.
* Vitamin C therapy is the best in treating the headaches due to any infection.
* Massaging the head with rosemary oil is also an effective measure for immediate relief. Good Home Remedy for Headache.
* Grape juice is beneficial in all kinds of headaches.
* For immediate relief apply paste of 3-4 cloves on the forehead.
* Warm water enema, glycerin enema or soap water enema can also be effective if constipation is the cause of headache.
* Make a fine paste of the lemon crust and apply paste on the forehead like a plaster. It will provide great relief from headache.
This is very effective home remedy for headache.
* Excessive use of coffee, alcohol, spices, tomatoes, oily foodstuffs and sour buttermilk should be avoided.
* Make a paste of 1 teaspoon finely ground cinnamon and 1-teaspoon of water and apply this paste on the forehead. It is very
effective in headache which is caused mainly due to exposure to cold air. This is one of the effective home remedies for headache.
* When not suffering from a cold, drink a teaspoon of honey in a glass of warm water or fill the stomach completely with water.
* Acupressure helps relieve headaches. There are several pressure points on our body, which when pressed, gives almost immediate
relief from headaches.
The points are:
Li-4, Li-11, GB-21, GB-20, UB-2, GB-1, GB-41, UB-60, LV-3, UB-10, G-20, and ST-36
* Place your thumbs right in the center of each temple Massage firmly using a circular motion for a minute or two, or until
you feel relief.
* A hot water bath or shower may also help to relieve the headache.
* Eat 10-12 almonds, for a migraine headache.
* Make a compress by putting 5 drops of lavender essential oil in cold (or warm) water. Swish around a soft cloth, and then
put it on your head or neck.
* Put your hands in hot water, which seems to pull the pressure out of your head.
* In some cases sleep gives relief to the headache. Sleeping on back give relief to the headache.
* Deep breathing is a great tension reliever. Deep breathing gives immediate relief to the headache.
* Tie a tight cloth around the head. It will decrease blood flow to the scalp and lessen the throbbing and pounding of a migraine.
* Avoid chocolate, aged cheese, red wine, citrus fruits. These foods all contain tyramine or other histamines which have been
shown to begin migraines in people with food sensitivities.
* Prepare a paste of freshly ground clay or freshly ground sandalwood and apply to the forehead, let dry, rub off by hand
* Drink a teaspoon of honey in a glass of warm water or fill the stomach completely with water if not suffering from a cold.
* Take equal parts of natural apple cider vinegar and water place in a small pan on the stove, allowing it to boil slowly.
When the fumes begin to rise from the pan, lean your head over it until the fumes are comfortably strong. Inhale for approximately
50 to 80 breaths.
* Juice of ripe grapes and is an effective home remedy for the migraine headache.
* Niacin has proved helpful in relieving migraine pain. Valuable sources of this vitamin are yeast, whole wheat, green leafy
vegetables, tomatoes, nuts, sunflower seeds, liver, and fish.
* Take few leaves of the cabbage crush them, and then place in a cloth and bound on the forehead at bedtime, or when convenient
during the day. The Compress should be renewed when the leaves dry out.
* Make a paste of the lemon crust. The paste should be applied, like a plaster on the forehead. It will provide great relief.
* Carrot juice along with spinach, or beet and cucumber juices, has been found beneficial in the treatment of migraine. In
the first combination, 200 ml of spinach juice may be mixed with 300 ml of carrot juice to prepare 500 ml or half a litre
of the combined juices. In the second combination, 100 ml each of beet and cucumber juices may be mixed with 300 ml of carrot
* The patient should eat frequent small meals rather than a few large ones. Overeating should be avoided. Copious drinking
of water is beneficial.
* Make a solution by adding half a teaspoon mustard seeds powder and three teaspoons water, put in the nostrils, it helps
to decrease the migraine.
* A peppermint steam inhalation provides quick relief for sinus headaches.
* Mix 1 teaspoon finely ground cinnamon (called dalchini in India) in 1-teaspoon water and applies on the forehead. It is
very effective in headache due to exposure to cold air.
* Make a paste from dry ginger with a little water or milk, apply to the forehead for relief of the headache due to sinusitis.
* Make a paste of 10-15 Basil leaves with 4 cloves and 1 teaspoon dried ginger and apply to forehead for sinus cure.
* Cut a potato into 4 pieces, place 2 in the center of your forehead and two at your temple (Hold the ones at your temples
in place). Lie down in a dark room and close your eyes. It takes a while to work but it takes away the pain.