Hemorrhoids or piles are due to swelling or enlargement of the veins that supply the rectal outlet of the body. This painful
condition is often complicated by localized inflammation and bleeding, and also thrombosis in many cases. People who suffer
from constipation and other bowel disorders are more likely to develop hemorrhoids. Piles are also more common in pregnancy,
and in conditions affecting the liver and upper bowel.
There are two types of hemorrhoids:
· External hemorrhoids.
· Internal hemorrhoids.
External hemorrhoids are more common, for they lie outside the anorectal junction.
Internal hemorrhoids are soft and dark colored, and usually irregular in shape. When very large, they may protrude through
the anus. Straining at the stool may bring them down. This may be followed by strangulation of the hemorrhoids with severe
These may be from:
· Portal stasis
· Pelvic diseases as frequent pregnancies, uterine displacement and new pelvic growth.
· Habitual constipation especially of persons taking spicy foods and alcohol.
Hemorrhoids are the most common cause of the rectal bleeding. The blood is bright red and may be noted on the toilet paper,
and also covering the surface of the stool or dripping into the toilet bowl after the stool is passed. However because cancer
of the rectum may possibly also be present, a thorough examination should be done in all cases of hemorrhoids.
Small hemorrhoids that cause only slight bleeding may not require any treatment. The patient should take at least six
to eight glasses of water a day. The diet should be rich in fruits and vegetables. He should avoid straining at stool. Itching
of the anus may also be present.
HOME REMEDIES FOR HEMORRHOIDS
· Apply Aloe Vera gel directly on the anus, it helps to relieve pain and soothes the burning sensation.
· Apply Witch hazel with a sterile cotton pad, 3 times daily to decrease the size of the swollen veins.
· Soak 4 figs in water overnight. Next morning eat the figs along with the water empty stomach. Similarly soak 4 figs
in the morning and eat them in the evening. Repeat this for 4 weeks.
· Boil a ripe banana in 1 cup milk and take 2-3 times a day.
· Drink about 100ml juice of radish in morning & evening.
· Make a paste of white radish in milk and apply over
inflamed piles to reduce swelling and pain.
· Drink buttermilk after food. It is a very effective remedy.
· Mix a glassful of buttermilk with 3 tsp of the juice of bitter melon (bitter gourd, Karela) and drink every morning
for a month.
· Boil 20g of sesame seeds in 500 ml of water till it is reduced by 1/3rd and drink it.
· Take 1 Tbsp of the coriander juice (green leaves) and add 1 tsp of sugar added, 3 times daily.
· Prepare a paste of cumin seeds powder with water and apply to anus to reduce pain.
· Soak coriander seeds in water overnight and drink this solution next morning to cure piles. This will also stop passing
of blood in the stools.
· Bleeding hemorrhoids will stop if you take two teaspoonfuls of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water at every meal.
· Soak a cotton ball in vinegar and dab on the affected areas as often as needed. Its astringent qualities will help shrink
swollen blood vessels and also reduces itching and pain.
· Mix a half ounce of heated lard with a dram (teaspoonful) of Calomel and apply as a salve on a piece of cotton. This
has cured obstinate cases.
· Take 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of cayenne in a glass of water to stop bleeding hemorrhoids. Take cayenne for several days until
the hemorrhoids are gone, then once or twice a week for a good maintenance dose. This will clear up hemorrhoids and keep them
from reoccurring. The cayenne helps the blood flow better.
· Cranberries are supposed to be beneficial.
· Apply the extract of Echinacea to the affected area with clean cotton. This will help relieve itching and painful hemorrhoids.
· Studies done in Europe found that horse chestnut helped to increase blood flow, strengthen connective tissue, tighten
up veins, and decrease redness and swelling. Avoid horse chestnut if you have liver or kidney disease or if you are pregnant
· I odine is very good in curing the piles. Mix 20 drops of potassium iodide in an ounce of oil and apply the solution
to the affected area at bedtime.
· Make a solution by mixing one ounce of lobelia extract, one ounce of Baptisia extract, and one ounce of zinc sulfate,
with 13 ounces of water; shake well and use frequently. Good for itching and painful hemorrhoids.
· Mix one teaspoonful of Flowers of Sulfur with one tablespoonful of Vaseline. Apply two or three times a day.
· Make a paste of some cottonseeds and apply on piles for overnight.
· Powder dried mango seeds. Take 2 grams twice daily for bleeding piles.
· Eat jambul fruit (jamun) with salt every morning for three months. This is a permanent cure for bleeding piles.
· Prepare a solution by adding equal amounts of juice of turnip leaves, spinach, watercress, and carrots.
· Prepare a mixture by adding 1 tsp each of ginger juice, lime juice, and fresh mint juice, mixed with 1 Tbsp honey.
· Soak about 50g of onion in water and add1 tsp sugar. It should be eaten twice daily. The bleeding piles will be cured
in a few weeks time.
· Make a solution of a teaspoon of powdered Alum in a glass of water. Apply frequently.
· Take 1 tbsp black cumin seeds (shah jeera), roast and mix with 1 tbsp of unroasted black cumin seeds and make a powder.
Take 1/2 a tsp with a glass of water once a day.
· Take radish juice in the morning and night. Start with 1/4 a cup and increase to 1/2 a cup gradually over a period of
· Do not sit for hours at a time, but take breaks: Once every hour, get up and move around for at least five minutes.
A doughnut-shaped cushion can make sitting more comfortable and ease hemorrhoid pressure and pain.
· Sitting in warm water for about 10 minutes, 3-4 times a day can help with relief the pain of hemorrhoids.
· A simple ice pack can be used to numb the area and is a natural type of hemorrhoids pain relief for those who wish to
· Drink lots of water and take high amounts of fiber in the diet.