Many people are sufferred with bouts of indigestion. Indigestion occurs due to disordered stomach, which is often irritated
by improper foods. Nervous problems are another common cause of gas and indigestion.
People with indigestion presents with a number of different symptoms such as nausea, heartburn, upper abdominal pain and flatulence
or a sense of fullness in the abdomen after eating food. These symptoms often come on after eating too rapidly or not chewing
Emotional upsets and severe mental strain are also common cause of gas and indigestion. Constipation may also interfere the
normal process of digestion and often causes gas and abdominal pain.
Certain foods may cause trouble. Fried foods often cause gas and abdominal discomfort. Excessive smoking is another cause
of trouble. many nervous individuals rapidly gulp down their food and swallow excessive amounts of air as well. Carbonated
drinks release a lot of carbon dioxide gas which may produce a sense of fullness in the stomach.
Indigestion can be caused due to improper eating habits, eating a lot of fried foods, meat, sweets, heavy foods and overeating,
eating incompatible food items, eating at irregular times, eating before the last meal is fully digested, eating very quickly
or mixing too many foods in one meal, consuming too much tea, coffee and alcohol, smoking, staying up late, emotional disturbances
(stress, grief, anxiety), taking drugs like antibiotics, painkillers and steroids.
HOME REMEDIES FOR INDIGESTION
· Prepare a m ixture by adding a tablespoon of lemon juice or cider vinegar in a cup of hot water and take it before a meal
to prevent acid indigestion.
· Add three drops of garlic oil to an half a cup of Soya oil and rub onto the stomach after food.
· Prepare a herbal tea of mint, raspberry, chamomile and blackberry.
· Drink one cup of ginger tea after meals to promote a good digestion and for heartburn, nausea, etc.
· Mix equal parts of baking soda and water in a glass.
· Take 1 tsp each of mint juice, lemon juice, and honey.
· Peppermint is a good for indigestion. Those who are prone to heartburn may try peppermint tea. It will help indigestion
with out causing heartburn.
· Mix 2 pinches of rock salt and 1/2 tsp carom seeds (ajwain). Chew it and drink water for indigestion.
· Mix lemon juice in warm water. Take this three times a day to improve digestion.
· Chewing a small piece of fresh ginger with salt, five to ten minutes before meals stimulates digestion.
· Take equal amounts of ginger powder, black pepper, dried mint leaves, asafetida (hing), anise seeds, coriander seeds, cumin,
fennel and common salt. Make a powder by grinding in a blender. Take about 1 teaspoon of this powder with water, twice a day
· Drinking buttermilk after a meal improves digestion. Roasted cumin seeds and a little salt in the buttermilk enhance its
· Drinking water gives immediate relief to symptoms like wind, distended stomach and acidity.
· Eat half a teaspoon of aniseed to improve digestion.
· Prepare a mixture by adding 5-6 chopped basil (tulsi) leaves, 1/4 tsp sea salt, some black pepper in 3 Tbsp of curd, and
eat it. Repeat this 4 times a day for one week for complete reconditioning of stomach.
· Keep a fast to fight with indigestion for complete one day.
· Eat boiled seasonal vegetables, fruits, fruit juices and lemon juice. Spices like cumin, coriander, turmeric, fresh ginger,
black pepper and asafetida also improves the digestion.
· Physical exercise, according to the strength and energy of the patient, is beneficial.
· Do not eat while moving or traveling in a car, watching television or reading.
· Do not eat fast food or food that has been cooked in a microwave oven. Eating should not be too fast or too slow and the
food should be properly chewed.
· Sleeping during the day, especially after lunch is not recommended, as it produces indigestion.
· The patient should not stay awake late at night and should be free from mental stress, anxiety, fear and grief.
· Grapes also help to improve digestion.
· Pineapple acts as a tonic and relieves much of the digestive disorders. Half a glass of pineapple juice should be taken
after a meal in treating this condition.
· The juice of a pomegranate mixed with a tablespoon of honey is valuable in indigestion accompanied by giddiness.
· Carrot also helps to relieve of symptoms of indigestion.
· Boil about 50 leaves of fenugreek (methi leaves) and fry in butter. This helps to relieve indigestion and other stomach
· Mix a teaspoon of aniseed in a cup of boiling water and leaving it covered overnight. The clear fluid can then be decanted
and taken with honey.