Heartburn is felt as a burning sensation behind the sternum or in the epigastrium. This is probably the result of regurgitation
of gastric contents into the esophagus and irritation by the hyperacid contents causing burning sensation behind the sternum.
This is associated with water brash and pyrosis.
Acidity cause reflex hyper secretion of alkaline saliva, which collects in the esophagus and is subsequently regurgitated
in to the mouth without any effort for vomiting. This is commonly associated with duodenal ulcer.
Some people are more susceptible than others to acidity and heartburn as they have problem in digesting some foods.
Normally the stomach secretes an acid, which is essential for the digestion. This acid helps in the breakdown of the food.
When there is excessive secretion of this acid by the stomach it results in heartburn.
Pregnant women suffer from heartburn as the uterus presses on the digestive tract as the fetus grows. Increased acidity with
regurgitation causes some amount of oesophagitis (inflammation of the esophagus), which increases the sensitiveness. Acidity
causes reflex increased secretion of alkaline saliva, which accumulates in the esophagus and is rushed into the mouth without
any sensation of vomiting.
HOME REMEDIES FOR HEARTBURN
· Almonds are also a good source for relieving the heartburn and acidity. Eat several almonds when heartburn symptoms persist.
. Lemons also help to prevent heartburn. Cut a lemon into thin strips and dip in salt. Eat before meals to prevent heartburn.
· Take some mint leaves and chop these and then boil in a cup of water and sip slowly after meals. If a person drinks Fresh
mint juice every day he will never experience acidity.
· Jaggery or gur taken after every meal also helps to reduce the acidity. Keep a piece of gur in the mouth and slowly suck
it till acidity decreases.
· Eating bananas is also helpful in preventing the symptoms of acidity and heartburn. To prevent acidity it is advised to
eat a banana daily.
· A mixture of 2 tsp of natural apple cider vinegar and 2 tsp raw honey in a glass of water before meals fights with acidity.
· Basil (tulsi) leaves helps to get relief from burning, nausea and gas. Chew some leaves of tulsi to decrease the acidity.
· Coconut water 4-5 times a day decreases the symptoms of the acidity and the heartburn.
· Harad (Terminalia chebula) if taken after every meal prevents the symptoms of the acidity.
· 1 tsp juice of chebulic myroblan mixed with 1 tsp of amla (Indian gooseberry) juice helps to prevent acidity and heartburn.
· Boil one cup of water. To this add 1 tsp of Aniseed (Saunf). Cover and leave overnight. Strain the water in the morning,
add 1 tsp of honey. When this is taken 3 times a day it prevents acidity.
· To 1 ½ liters of water add 1 tsp Caraway seeds (shah jeera). Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Sip while warm.
Take this liquid 2-3 times a day for 5-6 days. It will decrease the acidity.
· Take a glass of water, add a pinch of baking soda and drink it. It gives immediate relief from acidity.
· Take a glass of warm water, add a pinch of hing (asafoetida) and have it every morning to prevent acidity.
· Never smoke before or while eating. Smoking often causes one to swallow small amounts of air, which form air pockets in
the digestive tract with the added pressure of food.
· Go for a small walk after eating, which will help stimulate the digestive system.
· Refrain from consuming alcohol, caffeine, over-the-counter pain relievers, and other stimulants.
· Increase more fibre in your diet. This will naturally helps to relieve the future suffering. Bulk foods help to absorb excess
acid and gas, and allow your body to rid itself of toxins more quickly.
· Drink 8-10 glasses of water.
· Put a tablespoon of baking soda into a cup of water and mix it good then drink it.
· Keep 10-15 raisins in your mouth. Do not chew. Let them be there. Swallow the saliva secreted. Burning sensation will stop
in about 5 minutes.
· Eat lots of raw broccoli to kill heartburn.
· Mix a little bit of salt and sugar on your hand and eat it.
· Take one teaspoon of mustard if you have heartburn or indigestion.
· Chewing bubble-gum also disappears the acidity. This is an easy and best way to get rid of Acidity.
· For heartburn drink a teaspoon of vinegar. It is because there is not sufficient acid in our stomach to digest food properly,
thus gasses come back up and burn our stomach.
· Calcium also helps to fight with the heartburn and acidity. Yoghurt or ice-cream gives immediate relief from acidity and
· After food maintain an upright posture to prevent the reflex and to prevent the symptoms of acidity.
· Sleep with your head and shoulder on a high pillow for elevation.
· Do not skip meals. Do not keep large gap between meals. This produces gas / wind.
· Eat dinner 2-3 hours before going to bed.